Thursday, July 19, 2012

Project 14: Jalie Scarf Top



I've been wanting to make this one up for years. Finally, I've managed to get it sewn up.


My reservations with the scarf collar top were that I hadn't seen it made up too many times for a plus sized body. I also know that Jalie runs small, particularly in the sleeves. This pattern was no different. However, a combination of it being a knit pattern and my increasing confidence , meant that the pattern alterations weren't too arduous.

My measurements put me squarely in the DD size range (with the exception of my waist, but I expected that). However, when I compared the flat pattern measurement to an existing garment with the fit I like, I realised I was going to need to add some serious width. I'm sure the pattern would have "fit" me if I hadn't added to the side seams, but it certainly wouldn't have had the ease that I like.

The {fit} alterations I made were:
  • Traced the DD size for the neck, shoulders and most of the armscye.
  • Extended the bottom of the armscye out to the FF size (the "cheater" FBA)
  • Added another 1" to the bottom of the pattern, blending it into the FF side seam just before the armscye.
  • Lengthened the pattern at the hemline by 3" (I did that for this top. I may or may not do that for others.)

I loved the method they used for attaching the scarf collar. However, like one previous reviewer on PR, I didn't leave the scarf open at one end for turning through, I just left a gap partway up one of the sides. I closed that up with a ladder stitch and am happy with that decision.

I used a very drapey rayon/lycra knit called "Letters from Venice", that I bought it a fair while ago from Catherine's Place. They still have some in stock, but it's a lot more expensive than what I remember paying for it. I bought it as part of a co-op buy.

Seeing as though I stitched the main part of this top up at my sewing lesson, I used my sewing machine for the majority of the work. (I couldn't be bothered carting my overlocker in to class.) I have to say it's been a loooooong time since I've sewn knits on a sewing machine. It's sooooooo slow! But it did the trick. I waited until I got home to do the hems on the coverstitch machine.

 I'm happy with the fit in the back. It's got some shape but doesn't cling. 

Overall, I'm very happy with this top, and can see several renditions being added to "The List". It's a very quick sew.

11 comments:

  1. Love it!
    Back in high school, I had a sweat shirt with collage print (center front only) that reminds me of the print on yours. I wore it with my purple acid washed jeans (fo shiz) or my ankle blue and white sweater skirt. Yeah, I wore some crap in my day.
    (crazygrad)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you're going to tell me that that was meant to be a compliment! LOL!

      Delete
  2. The shirt (if I hadn't worn it til it vaporized) was dope! But ACID WASHED PURPLE JEANS??? and a blue and white ankle length sweater skirt???? (which compared to the purple jeans was actually decent).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great on you. Nice job and thanks for the link to Catherine's Place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dizyben! And you're welcome for the link. I always like to find out about new places to send my cash. LOL. I've found that Catherine's Place has been good for a few different things. I haven't bought anything there for a while, though. I'm trying to use up my stash at the moment.

      Delete
  4. I love your top. I've had this pattern for a while but have yet to make it! I need to get to it... So many patterns, so little time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel. I was horrified when I saw how many patterns I had that qualified for that Pattern Stash contest. I had all these grand plans about how many of them I was going to sew up, but, sadly, I only got to 3. Oh well. It's 3 more than I would have sewn otherwise. :-)

      Delete
  5. Love the top. Thanks so much for reviewing it here. I have this top and also wondered what it would look like if not worn by a stick. Looks fantastic on you - very very flattering - and I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was helpful. I put off sewing this one for a long time because I wasn't sure what it would look like on a plus-size body. Then I figured that other people might be in the same boat, so I "took one for the team". :-D

      Delete
  6. This is such a nice top and lovely fabric.
    Oh, and I loved that blue cardi from McCalls, that is most beautiful fabric and despite your issues with the turn back showing the inside looks good from photos! I'd wear it happily :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out really nice! I have the pattern but haven't made it yet. I was just fussing with another Jalie pattern top trying to figure out how to do a FBA on it, but once I compared my tissue pattern to the actual pattern itself, it wasn't off much of the next size up. So, I tossed my pattern and just going bigger on it. I hope that works.

    ReplyDelete