Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Musing about next year's goals

I feel as though I've been fairly productive this year. I've certainly sewn a lot of projects, but I'm still drowning in fabric. Part of the problem is that I can't throw anything away, and the other (main) part is that I keep buying more fabric. I really should learn. Anyway, the bottom line is that the amount of fabric I have is starting to stress me out so my goals for next year will involve sewing down my stash.

My First Goal: Targeted Fabrics

I've picked out a few fabrics and set them aside. I'm going to sew things from those fabrics (I can add other fabrics according to the project) until they are all gone. The fabrics (and tentative plans) are:
  1. Lime green organza with gold foil stars (Christmas Skirt for Iyla, Pretty Ditty Christmas Apron?)
  2. White stretch cotton sateen (capri pants for DD)
  3. White voile with gold stars and diagonal lines (peasant blouse for DD)
  4. Pink glitter organza (Fairy Skirt for DN)
  5. Aqua Blue with cute dogs satin-y fabric (PJs for DD, Boxers for DH)
  6. Pink Paisley satin-y fabric (Boxers for DH)
  7. Blue/Green/Yellow/White stretch cotton sateen (Ruffle back Otto skirt for DD)
  8. Green Fairy Drill (Art Caddy for DN)
  9. Blue Bubble Drill (Art Caddy for DD)
  10. Chocolate Brown with multi-coloured birds/geo design (Pretty Ditty Apron for Mum)

My Second Goal: Lingerie Fabric Stash Reduction

I need to sew down my lingerie fabric stash until it fits in one box. It's mainly for underpants for me so I'll need to get cracking on perfecting that TNT. THEN I'll be able to whip those babies out.

My Third Goal: Swimwear Fabric Stash Reduction

I want to sew down my swimwear fabric stash until it fits into 2 boxes. I've got a whole bunch of printed lycras that need to be used up. I also need some new swimsuits - so there's a match! Of course, sewing swimsuits for my DD is quite addictive. There's no fit issues and she always looks cute. However, I need to bite this bullet. I also want to order some sun protection lycra and I can't justify doing that until I at least get the current lycra stash under control.

My Fourth (and last for now) Goal: Dancing Fabric Stash Reduction

Finally, I want to sew up most of the dancing fabric stash. I'm not sure how much longer DD will be dancing so I need to get this stuff sewn up now while it's still useful. I also have a whole bunch of the pink sequin fabric - I know I'll be making more of those circle skirts so I may just get a head start over the Christmas school holidays.

Phew, it seems like a lot but I know I need direction in my sewing otherwise I flounder and fritter my time away. I may never achieve all these goals, but I like the way they keep me somewhat focused.

No comments:

Post a Comment